Chicken and Veggie Soup (from The Fast Metabolism Diet book)
Serves 6-8 people
- 1 whole chicken or chicken parts, skin removed (I just used 4 big boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups chopped fresh or frozen veggies (Anything can go into this soup. I used kale, spinach, celery, chives, mushrooms, squash, and zucchini. Broccoli, cabbage, leeks, and asparagus would be good too.)
- 1 Tbs parsley or cilantro
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Put the chicken in a large soup pot with broth and 8 cups of water. Add the vegetables and herbs. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Let cool, then remove the chicken and debone (I skipped this step since I just cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts and cubed it up before I started making the soup). Add your chicken meat back to the soup if you deboned the chicken, reheat, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
I ended up making half of this recipe, and it was enough for me to make 2 bags of soup to freeze for future meals. I used a serving and a half since I have more than 20 lbs I am wanting to lose. It was a LOT of soup. Make sure to label your soups with what phase it is for, so you don't get confused if you have multiple soups in your freezer.
Next week I plan to do an overall review of The Fast Metabolism Diet since I will have completed all 28 days. I will show what worked for me, and what I am going to change for the next time around (that's right, I am going to do another 28 days).
*If you are doing the FMD and have any tips for Phase 2, I would love to hear them. Don't be shy and comment below. I love hearing from my readers.