Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tasty Tuesday- Green Enchiladas (from a red sauce fan)


Let me start by saying, I am a red sauce kind of gal.  I never get green enchilada sauce on purpose, but it seems as though I grabbed a can by mistake the last time I was at the store.  I figured I would make the best of the situation and make different enchiladas than I was used to.  The green enchiladas I made were SO GOOD- and remember, this is coming from a red sauce fan. 

Ingredients: (Serves 2-3)
  • 1 can green enchilada sauce
  • 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 2 oz. cream cheese
  • mixed cheese
  • tortillas
 Directions: Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees

1. Start by cooking the chicken.  I cubed my chicken and cooked in a skillet, but shredded chicken would work well too.


2. While chicken is cooking, empty 3/4 of green enchilada sauce into a pan.  Add in corn and black beans.  (You can also add onions and olives, but I didn't have any on hand.)  Next, add cream cheese.  It should be about 1/4 of a brick of cream cheese.  You will want to cut the cream cheese up into smaller chunks, so it is evenly mixed into the pan.  When the cream cheese is mixed well, it should be slightly creamy and look similar to this.


3.   Grab a tortilla (I used wheat ones) and spoon a few scoops of the corn/bean sauce into the tortilla. Add some of the cooked chicken and a small handful of cheese. 


4. Roll up enchilada and place into a glass or metal pan.  Repeat step 3 until you are out of ingredients (I was able to make 4 enchiladas).  Pour remaining green sauce over the enchiladas and top with cheese.  Cover with tin foil and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese on top is melted and bubbly. 


5. Serve with sour cream and whatever else you want.  Chips and salsa, rice and beans, or a mexican salad would all be great additions.


There you have it.  These were so good, and I will definitely be making them again.  Maybe I am a green sauce fan after all.

1 comment:

  1. Looks delish!! I have some tasty recipes on my pinterest you should try! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive