Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tasty Tuesday- Easy Pot Roast

I love making pot roasts.  They are perfect on days when I know I am not going to be in the mood to cook later, because I can do all the work up front and have a yummy meal prepared later that night.  I've tried roasts using soda, special crock pot mixes, flour, and au jus.  None of them seem to be as good as when I make a roast using brown gravy.  I prefer the taste and consistency better with brown gravy, and it's perfect to use on mash potatoes when it's done.  Here is how I make my easy pot roast dinner:

You will need:
  • One roast (Here I used a boneless, round rump roast)
  • One packet brown gravy
  • One cup water
  • Minced garlic
  • Rosemary
  • Seasonings of choice (I use steak seasoning, garlic salt, salt, and pepper)
  • Vegetables of choice (I used baby carrots and red potatoes here, but I also like using carrots and onions)
  • Large Crock Pot


Directions:
  • Place roast in crock pot.  Set crock pot on HIGH if roast is frozen, and LOW if it is de-thawed.
  • Add brown gravy packet and one cup of water.  Make sure to mix up the gravy and water so there are not powder gravy spots.
  • Add 1 TBSP minced garlic (I like a lot), about 1 tsp rosemary, and seasonings to your liking.
  • Cover and cook.  If roast was frozen, cook on HIGH 3-4 hours before adding vegetables.  If roast was not frozen, cook on LOW 1-2 hours before adding vegetables.
  • Add baby carrots and chopped potatoes to crock pot.  Add a dash of salt and pepper.  Cook another 1-2 hours.

  • You will know everything is ready to eat when your roast falls apart with a fork, and you can easily put a fork through the vegetables.

It is really that simple.  The hardest part is the waiting.  Usually I make this roast with corn and mashed potatoes since the gravy is amazing on mashed potatoes.  If you decide to go that route, total cook time for a frozen roast on HIGH is 4-6 hours, and for a de-thawed roast on LOW it is 3-4 hours.  If you don't know if your roast is ready, just do the fork test.  I would rather have a juicy, tender overcooked roast than a hard undercooked one any day.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive