Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tasty Tuesday- Low-Carb, No Sugar Muffins



I am really excited to share this recipe for these Low-Carb, No Sugar muffins.  I have been eating no-carb and no-sugar for almost a month now (down 10 pounds WOOT!), and these muffins have been my life savers for when I am craving something bad but still want to eat good. These are also great for a quick breakfast if you make them the night before, and I am sure you could easily freeze them and pull them out one by one as needed.

I originally found this recipe here, but I changed it up a little to incorporate flax meal and coconut oil to bring the carbs down a little more.  If you don't have those ingredients, you can follow the original recipe and they will turn out equally as yummy.

What you will need:
(Makes 6 muffins)
  •  1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup ground flax meal
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons sweetener (splenda, honey, stevia, and agave all work well)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • coconut oil for greasing pan
  • 1/2 cup fruit of choice (strawberries cut up or blueberries are my favorites)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Grease muffin tin with coconut oil.

3. In a small bowl combine the milk and oats. Let soak for around 10 to 15 minutes.

4. In another bowl beat together egg, applesauce, vanilla, and cinnamon. Stir in oatmeal mix from the first bowl (milk and oat mixture). Add ground flax meal , sweetener, baking powder, and salt. Stir until all ingredients are combined well.

5. Fill 6 muffin tin cups with about 1 tablespoon of batter each. Divide half the fruit into the muffin tins.  (In the pictures, I wanted to try different fruit to test flavor.  I used strawberries, blueberries, and apples/sliced almonds.  I really liked them all, but strawberry was my favorite.)
6. Spoon the remaining batter into the tins, making sure to cover up the fruit.  The cups should be around 2/3 full.  Add the remaining fruit on top of the muffins.  (If you are making all the same flavor, you can put all the fruit in the middle. I just added half of it on top so I could tell which ones were which.  I also like the way it looks with some of the fruit on top.)

7. Bake in the oven for about 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
8. Enjoy your low-carb, sugar free treat guilt free.


I'm not going to lie, a lot of times I get turned off by eating really healthy because healthy foods sometimes lack flavor and taste blah.  These muffins are anything but blah.  Making these was my first time experimenting with flax, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they turned out.  I have already made them 3 different times, and every time I experiment with adding new fruit and flavors.  If you make these, make sure and leave a comment letting me know which kind you tried and how you liked it.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive