Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tasty Tuesday- Golden Curry

My sister-in-law recently told me about this curry she makes a lot at her house.  When I went to the store to buy it, my immediate thought was, "There is NO WAY I am going to eat something that looks like that!"


She assured me that the finished product looks nothing like the outdated picture on the box, so I took a leap of faith and decided I would give it a try.  I'm so glad I did!  This curry is so good, and I am not usually the biggest curry fan.  The instructions were not as clear as I thought they could be, but not impossible to follow.  There are also a lot of different variations you could use to make this curry into different meals by changing the meat, veggies, or rice/pasta.  Here is how I chose to prepare it:

Ingredients (also found on the box):


  • 1 Golden Curry sauce mix
  • 4 boneless-skinless chicken tenders (I usually do 2 tenders per person eating. You can also use beef, pork, or other meats for this meal.)
  • Broccoli (I used 1 medium bunch)
  • Carrots (I used about 2 cups sliced carrots)
  • Dehydrated onion (A fresh onion would be better, but my family doesn't like onion so I have to sneak in onion flavor with the dehydrated ones.)
  • 2 tbsp Butter
  • 2 1/2 Cups Water
  • Rice

First, I cut up the broccoli and chopped the carrots.  I sauteed the veggies with the butter in a pan for about 5 minutes, then I put the heat on low while I cooked the chicken and rice.


When the chicken was done, I cubed it and added it to the vegetables.


Next, I got another pan and added the water and about 6 shakes of dehydrated onions.  Then I followed the directions on the box, and broke up the curry in the pan and stirred until it was smooth and bubbly.


I then added the chicken and veggies into the curry sauce and mixed them together.


By this time, the rice was done.  I divided the rice into three bowls (2 bowls for dinner, 1 bowl for leftovers).  Then I added the curry/chicken/veggie mix on top of the rice.


That was it!  Like I said before, I am not a huge curry fan, but this was SO GOOD!  It had great flavor, but was not super spicy.  It didn't seem like a lot, but my husband and I were both stuffed full after eating it. It made for great leftovers the next day too, and I usually hate leftovers.  In fact, the leftovers might have been even better since the flavors could sit and marinade over night.


Since making this, I have been craving it so bad.  This is definitely being added to our regular list of meals.  If you like curry or are looking to try something new, I would highly recommend giving this a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive