Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tasty Tuesday- Freezer Meal Marinades {Part 1}

When I first heard about freezer meals, I wanted to gag.  I HATE leftovers, and the thought of eating something that had been sitting in the freezer forever was not appealing to me at all.  After learning more about freezer meals, I realized it is not at all what it sounds like.  A freezer meal is really a marinade of ingredients put together, so when you are ready to cook, the prep work is already done. So, instead of calling them freezer meals, I will call them freezer meal marinades.

For Part 1 of making freezer meal marinades, I am showing how I make Chicken Teriyaki and Sweet BBQ Chicken.  These are both favorites for my family, and we eat them regularly.  I love how simple they are to make, and so yummy to eat.  Even my two year old loves them, and that's saying a lot.

Chicken Teriyaki


4-6 Bonesless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or 6-8 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Tenders
1 Cup Teriyaki Marinade
1 Cup Water
2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
2-3 Cloves Garlic
A few slices of of Ginger

Add all ingredients to a Freezer Gallon Ziplock Bag.  I use about 2 tsp minced garlic, and 2 tsp jarred Ginger when I don't have the real stuff on hand.  When all the ingredients are in the bag, make sure as much air as possible is out.  Then, seal the bag tight and go to town mixing all the ingredients together with your hands.

To cook: Take the freezer meal marinade out of the freezer an hour before starting OR run it under hot water for about a minute.  Dump the meal in the Crockpot and cook on Low for 4-6 hours or High 2-3 hours.  You know the chicken is done when it falls apart with a fork.  Chicken tenders will cook less time than chicken breasts will.  Serve over rice with veggies, and don't forget to use up that yummy teriyaki sauce the chicken in sitting in.



Sweet BBQ Chicken


4-6 Bonesless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or 6-8 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Tenders
12 oz bottle of BBQ Sauce (any kind works)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar (or 1 cup if you like your BBQ sweeter)
1/4 Cup Vinegar
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
dash of lemon juice

Add all ingredients to a Freezer Gallon Ziplock Bag. Make sure to get out as much air as possible before sealing the bag shut.  Mix all the ingredients together with your hands, and lay flat to freeze in your freezer.

To cook: Take the freezer meal marinade out of the freezer an hour before starting OR run it under hot water for about a minute.  Dump the meal in the Crockpot and cook on Low for 4-6 hours or High 2-3 hours.  You know the chicken is done when it falls apart with a fork.  Chicken tenders will cook less time than chicken breasts will.  Serve with whatever your family likes.  Last time I made this I served with garlic mashed potatoes, corn, and a salad.



*If you notice, I labeled my Ziploc bags with marker before I added the ingredients.  However, once you start mixing the bag with your hands, the marker tends to come off a bit.  So, when you label your bags, make sure to keep the writing on the white labeling spot or it will probably come off, and you could be left wondering what meal is what.

Next Week:  Freezer Meal Marinades {Part 2}:  Taco Soup and Easy Lasagna

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive